Looking out my window you would never know it's early November here on Long Island, NY...a Nor'easter blew in last night and dumped a few inches of snow on us! This came after Hurricane Sandy ravaged the Northeast last week with 90 MPH winds, coastal flooding and power outages for 90% of Long Island. It was a 1-2 punch that left much damage and destruction in it's wake. Many people were forced to evacuate. Whole communities lost everything. It will take years of rebuilding. My family was extremely fortunate. We never lost power and didn't have any major damage. We have a lot to be thankful for. Many are going on 12 days still without heat, electricity and even water and blankets. Please send prayers to those who are continuing to suffer and if you have a few dollars to spare the Red Cross will gladly accept your donation.
On a lighter note....
Prior to the storms, I was asked by some very talented cakey friends, Kathia (Pink Little Cake) and Melissa (The Baked Equation) to participate in a Fall Cake Challenge with some other very talented cake artists!! What fun!! However, due to the storms I haven't had much time for baking and decorating. Still wanting to participate, I thought I would bring back and oldie but goodie from last Thanksgiving...my Tom the Turkey cake! I received many questions about how I made him, so here's a little insight!
Tom's body is made using the Wilton Wonder Mold pan
His neck and head are made from molded gumpaste on a thick wooden skewer pushed through the center of the cake.
His tail feathers were made using a set of daisy cookie cutters, in graduated sizes. (Each feather was cut from the petals.) Then I layered the colors and "glued" them to Tom's back using melted chocolate.
Tom's feet were made from a purse-shaped cookie cutter. I cut and separated the 3 toes and rounded the edges.
Tom's legs are blocks of cake that I cut from a 6" square cake.
His hat was made a few days in advance to give it time to harden. I rolled black fondant around a 1.5" inch round bottle to let it dry. Then I cut a 1.5" disk and placed it on top and a 2" disk for the bottom.